"Goals are dreams with deadlines" -- Diana Scharf

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Let's do the numbers (2/17-2/23)


When driving home from work, I sometimes tune in to "Marketplace" on NPR.  I know what you're thinking: admitting you listen to NPR is kind of like admitting that you actually floss your teeth daily or change your motor oil every 3,000 miles.  Neither of which I do, much to the chagrin of both my dentist and my mechanic  (C'mon...you don't do those things either, do you?)

But, I do occassionally listen to "Marketplace."  One of my favorite parts is when Kai Ryssdal opens the segment by saying, "Let's do the numbers."  So, let's do the numbers, shall we?


Last week (2/17-2/23), Mr. W and I:   


  • Took the train to work zero times. I really need to improve this, since I pay for a monthly parking pass at the train station (this goal really only applies to me, since it would be nearly impossible for Mr. W to take public transit to work).

  • Ate once at a restaurant, on Presidents' Day. $29 including tax and tip.   

  • Hosted one dinner party.  Big success!
    • Sidebar: Does it count as a dinner party if you only host four people, and they're all your husband's immediate family members?  Probably not.  In any case, we had Mr. W.'s family over for dinner on Saturday evening.  This shouldn't make me nervous, because we only live a mile away and have a very close relationship with them.  In fact, we see them on a weekly basis.  But usually, we go to their house.  Whenever we invite people to our apartment, even if it's just a small crowd, I feel intense pressure that everything must be absolutely perfect.  Despite my nervousness, it went off quite well.

  • Baked two loaves of bread, 18 scones, 36ish English muffins, one batch of cornbread, five dozen homemade Cheez-its, and one chocolate cake.  (Some other time, I'll explain why we bake so much). 

  • Then, in order to burn off the calories, attended a total of nine fitness classes (four for me, five for Mr. W.).  We both buy unlimited monthly passes to our respective fitness classes, so we like to attend as many classes as we can.

  • Did seven loads of laundry since we had so much sweaty workout gear.
 

  • Completed five --yes, five! -- craft projects.  Here's a picture of my favorite project: a handmade sign for some friends who recently welcomed a baby girl into their family.  I sort of wish we knew more folks with kids so I could keep making these signs!   


    All in all, I'd say it was a pretty productive week!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet baby sign and homemade cheez-its, umm I'm searching your sign for a recipe as soon as I hit submit on this comment.

    ReplyDelete